Care & Maintenance
Care & Maintenance
Looking after you soft top is similar to looking after the body of your vehicle. Periodic cleaning and maintenance is essential to maximise the life expectancy and help maintain the original appearance.
- Always start by hosing the top with fresh water to remove any excess mud or dirt. This is particularly important for 4WD enthusiasts who spend a lot of their time off road. Do not leave mud or dirt on the top for a prolonged period of time as it might stain the fabric.
- Hand washing is strongly recommended for cloth and vinyl soft tops. Use warm soapy water and a soft bristle brush or sponge. Clean in a circularly motion.
- Rinse the top thoroughly after washing with fresh water and chamois dry.
Glass windows should be washed with a water-based cleaner. Extra care must be taken around the heater/defroster glass windows so as to avoid scratching and breaking the power source connector wire.
Plastic windows can be washed using plain water or a mild soap and water solution. Apply with a soft cloth and always clean from side to side, never in a circular motion. Vuplex® is brand of clear PVC cleaner that is suitable for enhancing plastic windows after the regular cleaning process is finished.
When cleaning ALWAYS;
- Wash the entire soft top (spot cleaning could lead to rings or spots)
- Wash soft top in the shade
- Wet entire soft top before washing and rinse afterwards
- Chamois all excess water off the vehicle
- Use harsh detergents or cleaners, bleaches, or abrasives
- Use dry-cleaning solvents
- Use boiling hot water
- Lower the soft top when wet or damp (this may encourage mildew problems)
Cleaners and Protectants
Keeping the zipper clean and lubricated with a silicone lubricant will help prevent damage and keep the zippers in a smooth working condition.
If a zipper opens behind the slider, the slider may have been spread apart. This is a common problem that can usually be repaired by using an ordinary pair of pliers to bring the sides back into parallel. Return slider to the end of the zipper in the normal, open position. Squeeze lightly at first and test the zipper. If the zipper continues to remain open, squeeze a little more firmly with the pliers and try the zipper again. Repeat this procedure until the zipper operates correctly. To avoid this problem, do not apply excessive leverage on the pull tab when opening and closing the zipper.
Press Studs must be kept clean and lubricated with silicone to help prevent them from sticking to the studs. In the event of a snap sticking to a stud, use a screwdriver to gently pry them apart.
All materials tighten when subject to direct sunlight but some quality materials resist tightening better than others. Ensuring that the soft top is correctly installed helps minimise the impacts from the material tightening. To help avoid potential problems, do not leave the top open for extended periods of time.
A common example of this is the Suzuki Vitara. The rear corners are located with large plastic corner clips. If these are left open for long periods of time tightening might occur and it’s possible the corner clips will not re-connect.
Contact us if you have any questions regarding soft top maintenance.